- Nov 20 - 22 2020
Nov 20-22, 2020
Raleigh, Richmond, Greater Washington Area, and VA Boarding Schools
View the Gallery
November 20-22, 2020
Meet old friends and make new ones! Students in grades 9-12 from Raleigh, Richmond, Greater Washington Area, and the Virginia Boarding Schools are all invited to come enjoy an autumnal weekend with FOCUS in Charlottesville, Virginia. The weekend will be a mixture of fun games, thoughtful talks, great music, and down-time spent on the campus of UVA and in Charlottesville.
The program fee of $135 covers all program activities, as well as some meals. Students should plan to have dinner before they arrive Friday night. Breakfast on Saturday and Sunday mornings, as well as dinner on Saturday evening will be provided. Students will need to buy lunch on Saturday and Sunday. Please contact your local area staff if you would like to apply for a scholarship.
Your FOCUS area director may organize group transportation to and from Charlottesville Weekend. Please contact him or her for details. We can provide driving and parking directions for those who arrive by car.
Suggested Packing List
• Sleeping bag and pillow (The majority of students will be sleeping in bunk beds at the conference and retreat center, but due to numbers, some people may need to bring sleeping mats.)
• A towel
• Extra money for lunches, sporting events, shopping, or snacks in town
• Comfortable clothes appropriate for the weather (Be sure to pack warm clothes as it is chilly in Charlottesville!)
• You may also want to bring sports equipment, musical instruments, a notebook, or a camera
• There is an optional early morning hike on Sunday. If you would like to participate, please bring appropriate hiking clothes. It will be chilly in the morning, so please dress warmly!
At this program, you will have lots of time for action and relaxation, to be outside, to have conversations, and to meet new people. We have found that certain items detract from the community experience that students enjoy. Specifically, we ask you not to bring the following: speakers, computers, iPads, tablets, or other devices that stream videos.
All FOCUS rental facilities are alcohol, tobacco, and drug free campuses. To that end, we ask that you do not bring alcohol, tobacco products, marijuana, illegal drugs, or drug paraphernalia (including electronic smoking devices, vaporizers, e-cigarettes, Juuls, etc.).
If anyone is found with such items, they will either be confiscated for the remainder of the program, or (in the case of alcohol, tobacco products, marijuana, illegal drugs, or drug paraphernalia) may result in the student being sent home early.
FOCUS is not responsible for any lost or stolen items during the program.